DIY Stout & Coffee Soap

So I’m in the midst of a little survival package for my fiancé and his groomsmen to take along on the bachelor party (more on that later) and one of the pieces to the puzzle is some soap… yep soap. I figured depending on their misadventures a little soap will go a long way and it’s a lot more fun than your average grocery store soap because it has beer in it!

The scent is mild and the coffee grounds will exfoliate the skin. I also chose to make the base out of shea butter (what with all the coffee grounds) so it’s moisture rich and will give your newly exfoliated skin some TLC. The end result basically looks like a cookies and chocolate milkshake so now I’m desperately craving OREO’s, whoops! Well things could be worse right? All-in-all this is also actually a pretty budget friendly gift or favor as well and it’s got the guy’s stamp of approval.

This will make 6 bars of soap in the mold suggested.

What You’ll Need

• 1lb Shea Butter Soap Base
  • 1/2 cup Guinness (flat – you can leave it out overnight or boil it to flatten the beer)
  • 1/2 cup Coffee (room temp)
  • 1/4 cup Used Coffee Grinds (fine grind – UPDATE: for those looking for a super gentle exfoliant, use the finest grind possible – think espresso grind, for a less subtle exfoliant you can leave the grind a bit bigger)
  • Nutmeg Essential Oils
  • Vanilla Essential Oils
  • 1 Silicone Soap Mold (I used this one)

IMG_2524

1. Cut one up 1lb of soap base into small cubes. Place the cubes into a microwave-safe bowl and follow the instructions on the package for melting the base, checking the soap frequently, until smooth.
    IMG_2539
  2. Quickly (we don’t want the base to cool) and carefully pour the coffee, Guinness, 6 drops of the vanilla oil, and 2 drops of the nutmeg into the base and stir until incorporated.
    IMG_2543
  3. Stir the 1/4 cup of coffee grinds to the mixture a little at a time, feel free to add less or more depending on how much of an exfoliant effect you want (many may want less). Now it will look like delicious chocolate milk!
    IMG_2551
  4. This is optional but a HUGE headache saver – Transfer the soap into a container with a pouring spout
    IMG_2554
  5. Pour the soap mixture into the mold slowly to avoid the little bubbles that form on top (see the first two molds – yeah I didn’t take my own advice!).

Pro-tip:

to help remove those bubbles, lay a piece of saran wrap on top of the mold, making sure it touches the the warm liquid soap, then slowly lift the saran wrap – it will pull up the bubbles with it!

IMG_2566Want a quick peek behind the scenes? I revise all my DIY’s in real time so that you all get the most accurate information. That means the whole time I work on a DIY I jot notes for myself… it’s both insanely helpful and when I find them 6 months later – very confusing. Nutmeg and beer? was this a drink or a DIY?
    IMG_2572

6. Allow the soap to sit in the molds 8 hrs, then out of the molds 4 hours (this will help dissipate any lingering oils on the surface of the soap). When you’re done, wrap em up and give them as gifts!

IMG_2738

IMG_2787 IMG_2733 IMG_2794 IMG_2729

28 Comments on DIY Stout & Coffee Soap

Veronica
      November 8, 2015 at 10:32 pm (2 years ago)

Aww thank you!

1. Katelyn
    November 30, 2015 at 4:21 pm (2 years ago)

I just made this and it’s currently sitting in the molds! Although my boyfriend and I were skeptical about smelling like stale beer, we came around when I actually made it. Can’t wait to test one out! Great idea!

Veronica
      November 30, 2015 at 4:48 pm (2 years ago)

How wonderful! I hope you like it!

2. mina
    December 1, 2015 at 1:20 am (2 years ago)

hello i have 1 kg soap base and i have plan to make coffe soap how much coffe grinds and coffe i need to have and if the nutmeg oil is more than you is’t ok

Veronica
      December 11, 2015 at 3:36 pm (2 years ago)

Hello Mina!

If you use about 80% of your soap base then you can use the same measurements. If you’d like to use the whole block – I’d add another 1/8 of a cup of coffee, keep the coffee grinds the same. And most importantly revise the essential oils to be: 8 drops of the vanilla oil, and 3 drops of the nutmeg

3. Julie
    December 7, 2015 at 4:38 pm (2 years ago)

Can I use any kind of beer? Or can I skip it altogether?

Veronica
      December 11, 2015 at 3:27 pm (2 years ago)

Hello Julie!

Personally I think stouts smell a little better at room temperature so I’d recommend skipping the beer altogether if you’re adverse to a stout. Instead I think I’d add some Cinnamon or Sweet Orange essential oils. It’d be a very different but pleasant scent.

4. Renee G.
    December 11, 2015 at 3:11 pm (2 years ago)

You might know this, but a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol will take care of those bubbles on the surface of your soaps. Just spritz the tops gently and no more nasty bubbles. Also works for layering soap to keep the layers smooth and sticking to each other.

Veronica
      December 11, 2015 at 3:28 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Renee that’s a great tip! I’ll have to try that out with my layered soaps next time around.

5. janice
    December 11, 2015 at 6:40 pm (2 years ago)

I would like to use 2lbs of melt and pour soap. How would the measurements change? Would
    I double the amount?. I do not want to use the coffee or grinds at this time.

6. Dave
    January 1, 2016 at 8:20 am (1 year ago)

I was wondering what you used to wrap the soap.. Is it just standard Kraft paper?

Veronica
      June 13, 2016 at 10:05 am (1 year ago)

Yes! I bought a big roll on Amazon and keep it handy for gift wrapping. Inside the craft paper you could wrap this in a thin wax paper to prevent essential oils leeching into the paper.

7. Marilyn
    March 26, 2016 at 5:54 pm (1 year ago)

I love this…what a great idea. I also enjoy your casual writing style. Very nice!

8. Bunell
    July 5, 2016 at 9:01 pm (12 months ago)

Using 3 lbs melt and pour what would measurements be

Veronica
      July 6, 2016 at 9:43 am (12 months ago)

Hello! I’m so glad you’re giving this a try!

This recipe uses 1lb of soap base so – you’ll want to triple all of the other ingredients. I’ve just updated the instructions to make it easier to find the amount of soap!

You’re coffee will settle to the bottom so to get an even distribution be sure to stir things up right before pouring!

9. Marla Wade
    August 1, 2016 at 12:15 pm (11 months ago)

Hi, was just wondering if you could use used coffee grounds

Veronica
      August 1, 2016 at 12:23 pm (11 months ago)

Hello Marla!

So long as it’s a fine grind I think you’d be okay – a course coffee ground might be a bit rough on the skin. Be sure to dry the grounds after use.

If you’re going to use instant – I’ve never tried instant grounds. I’m not sure of how well they’d hold up in the soap so please pop back and let me know!

10. Kara
    November 12, 2016 at 7:42 pm (7 months ago)

Is there a substitute for the nutmeg oil? Could it be skipped altogether?

Veronica
      December 11, 2016 at 11:46 pm (6 months ago)

Hello Kara – You could skip the nutmeg oil or swap it out with a scent you like better. I loved the nutmeg as it added a little more depth to the scent of the soap and it is said to carry anti-inflammatory and skin rejuvenating benefits. If you choose to use another essential oil – do a little research to ensure it won’t cause skin irritation first!

11. Christa
    December 11, 2016 at 8:46 pm (6 months ago)

Can you use a goat milk soap base instead of Shea butter?

Veronica
      December 11, 2016 at 11:41 pm (6 months ago)

Hi Christa! Yes you can! It will have a slightly different scent (Goat milk and Shea bases start out different smells) but so long as you take care to mix your soap up thoroughly I think you should be okay 🙂

12. Jenny
    March 2, 2017 at 7:25 pm (4 months ago)

Can you just substitute the coffee for all beer? I’m throwing a “cheers to 38 years” surprise party for my hubby and thought this would make great party favors. It’s at a local brewery and I want to use their hazelnut stout. But I’d like to leave out the coffee and just use beer. Do you think that would work?

Veronica
      June 21, 2017 at 7:51 pm (3 days ago)

Hi there! I’m sorry I’m a little late with this comment! If you’re looking to make these again some day you can just leave out the coffee grinds but leave the amount of beer the same. (Too much beer will keep the soap from setting). I’d recommend adding a few drops of hazelnut essential oil (3-6 depending on your preference) to really play up the Hazelnut smell and do justice to the beer you’re using!

13. Nicole
    March 11, 2017 at 9:23 am (4 months ago)

This soap looks great and easy to make! How long after taking the soap out of the molds do you suggest waiting for use? I am a first time soap maker and have read online that many require 4-6 weeks. Also, did you use the same coffee flavor as the grinds you added? Thanks!

Veronica
      June 21, 2017 at 7:57 pm (3 days ago)

Hi there, I didn’t leave my soap to cure. The benefit of using a ready made base like the one listed here is that once the soap hardens you can pretty much use it straight away. I left mine 24 to 48 hours, just to be sure that there were no soft centers 🙂

As to the brewed coffee yes it’s the same type of coffee as the grinds! I would recommend using a non-flavored coffee (as in a good ole dark or medium roast) as the flavored coffees tend to smell a little funny (thats just an observation) if you’d like your soap to have a “flavor” like hazelnut I’d look into essential oils – adding a few drops can add a nice smell to the soap and many of them can be good for your skin!

14. Stephanie
    April 29, 2017 at 8:37 pm (2 months ago)

I noticed all my coffee grinds sank to the bottom of the mold and I used sage and vanilla came out great

Veronica
      June 21, 2017 at 7:48 pm (3 days ago)

Yes that can definitely happen – a few tips that could help next time: a finer grind (the smaller the grind the better the dispersion) or if you’re looking for a larger grind, let the soap cool just a little (until it thickens slightly but is not firm around the edges) before adding the grinds. then immediately pour into the molds and pop them into the fridge for a bit 😉

I’m glad the sage and vanilla came out well though!