I saw these bright and gorgeous beaded tassel necklaces at the Furbish Studio website and immediately loved them. They’re so full of color! You may have already noticed but I really like to figure out how things are made, so I popped into maker mode and started to plan how I could make my own. Specifically one in a particular shade of blue that I really liked.
This project is stunningly simple. It is literally just making a lot of knots. So my friends as long as you can tie your shoes you can make this necklace!
What You’ll Need:
What to Do:
1. Decide how long you’d like your necklace to be by holding the embroidery thread up like a necklace around your neck. Got it? Great! Now quadruple that length!
2. At one end of your thread, leaving about 4 inches free at the end (this will eventually tie on your tassel), tie a double knot.
3. Thread your first bead! Double knot as close to the bead as you can and thread another bead onto the floss. Repeat this step until you reach your desired necklace length (this is the perfect craft to do in front of the TV).
4. Once you’ve finished the length of your necklace, make sure that your necklace has a double knot at either end.
5. Thread the 4 inch tail (the end you started at) and what’s left of your thread through one bead together. Double knot using both threads.
6. Using the second bundle of embroidery thread make a tassel, as long or as short as you’d like.
7. Thread the two tail threads through the tie-off threads at the top of the tassel (see link in step above) of your tassel then back up through the last bead.
8. This step sounds tricky but is pretty easy. Using the embroidery needle, pull the two tail threads through the knot above the last bead, leaving a loop. Pull the needle through the loop, tying a knot. Repeat.
9. Secure your knots with a little glue or nail polish. Trim the ends and wear your necklace!
Be forewarned, once you see how easy this is you’ll want to make one in every color you can! (they are fun to layer). Enjoy!