Somehow this year, Minnesota skipped straight from winter to summer and left spring by the wayside. It only just now occurred to me that I can stop eating hot meals all the time and revisit some cold favorites, like the Spring Chicken Salad Sandwich.
Originally my mum’s concoction, I’ve altered the recipe over the years. Her version was eaten on its own, but I like to sandwich mine inside a croissant because, really, I just like an excuse to eat a croissant. When I have more time I like to bake the chicken with cumin sprinkled on top, otherwise I just cube it and boil it for a few minutes.
- 1 cooked chicken breast, cubed (cumin optional)
- 2 handfuls of chopped walnuts
- 1 bunch of grapes
- 2 Tbsp mayo
- 2 squirts of wet mustard (or 1 tsp dry mustard)
- garlic powder to taste
- onion powder to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls of arugula
- 2 croissants
- Cut grapes in half
- Combine grapes, chicken, walnuts, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper in medium bowl.
- Add mayo and mustard.
- Slice croissants in half and lay arugula on bottom halves
- Spoon chicken mixture onto arugula and place other croissant halves on top